Skip to main content

Le Tour de East Coast


Woah. It's that time of the year again - exams. You can't blame me for not updating this lot for quite some time. I have so many things to share but some of it is too irrelevant to put up by now.

One of the most exciting things that has happened lately (no, not Beyonce's concert) has got to be my recent trip to the east coast with my entire brood. Mom, dad, big bro and big sis as well as the accompanying toddlers - everyone was in.

Exams coming up but since they were really pushing the tour before my papers, I have no qualms but to oblige. Why not escape the city for 4 days and venture into the eastern peninsular side for a little me-time?

So on October 16, we kickstarted the tour with a trip to Cherating. I've never been there before and gladly I have to say, Cherating got my heart. The place was serene and (no need to mention) beautiful, not too crowded or commercialized and the beach was as clean as hotel towels- at least in where I stayed.

My brother and sis-in-law in Genting Sempah R&R for breakfast

My Deepavali-colored shoes were the talk for the entire journey

Daddy's kids (and some grandkids)

This cat is not one of us. Spotted in one of the R&R somewhere in Temerloh

Sis and mom. Photocopy images, as said by my friend Erik


The Impiana Resort in Cherating have quite spacious rooms in traditional Malay architecture and interior. I could go on and on about the fabulous private beach there with small hermit crabs running around and hiding themselves and exquisite sea-shells were abundant. Totally a place for retreat.

But with 4 nephews and a niece running around, retreat is something quite remote in my journey. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine here!

Any resemblance?

Mr Hazim enjoying the beach

Acara lumba lari di Impiana Cherating kategori 1 hingga 33 tahun

Dinner in Tanjung Lumpur, Kuantan

The next day, we headed to Kuala Terengganu - the place du jour for batik, keropok lekor, regatta and crystal mosque!

I bet Zuhairi must be grinning ear-to-ear reading this. Winks.

We stayed in Primula Beach Hotel. One word sum up this hotel - crowded. Definitely not a place to relax and enjoy the hotel hospitality. Even the towels arrived 8 hours late after we checked in. And both my brother and brother in law got scolded by the staff for taking fork and spoon while breakfast in the cafe. That's crazy, okay.

But, if you're looking forward for batik stuff, salted fishes, songket, various types of keropok, asam and other equivalent what-nots galore, Kuala Terengganu is your place. I'm personally impressed with the batik and songket clothes there - relatively cheaper than any other place with equally attractive designs.

Fabulous.

Power struggle

I called him Jimmy Neutron due to his hair.

Yin and Yang

Fooling around during dinner in KFC Kuala Terengganu


Since we were already there, we decided to take a peek at the infamous crystal mosque and Pulau Duyung, the venue for annual Monsoon Cup. The crystal mosque was okay, quite some mosque but the whole area of Taman Tamadun Islam was really burning my already-dark skin.

I'm still puzzled of those people who chose to develop new places and plant small, small shrubs like ixora or alamanda instead of big, shady trees. We're not living in the Mediterranean, silly.

The third day, we travel down-south back to Kijal, Terengganu and stayed in Awana. Again, the beach was awesome, schmosome but incomparable to that of in Impiana Cherating. The latter still wins my vote hands down.

In Awana Kijal beach

Not much can be done there in Kijal. Most of the time were spent in our apartment or strolling by the beach. I'm not a fan of swimming pool activity so I had to pass any of it though my brother and sister (and their entire clan) mob every swimming pool in all of the hotels that we stayed in.

By Monday, October 19, we headed back to KL with our lazy bums and shit-loads of photos. It took me quite a while to upload them all on my Facebook.

All in all, the trip was fun but it feels so much different traveling with your family now compared when you were younger. It takes some patience and a whole lotta compromise to make it work, and until you have it, don't go together just yet.

Just saying!

Comments